As we all know, football is a fierce sport that requires a high level of competition. The scariest reality happening to an athlete is they may go down with concussions in a fierce match. Therefore, it is more and more imperative to clearly understand the importance of football helmets. So how to choose the best football helmet? Let’s find out.
Related: Top 10 Best football gloves 2021
What is the best football helmet to prevent concussions?
Whether you are playing football at a professional level or collegiate, it is vital to choose the right helmet. Consider the following criteria:
Choosing a perfectly fitted football helmet is the most important
- Choose the right size: Our heads come in different sizes and shapes. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that you need to choose one properly fit size. A football helmet should deliver snug and supportive without spaces between the pads and our head. The helmet should never slide on our head, the chin strap should be well-placed.
- Vision: The helmet should be secured in place, not too high or too low to disrupt the vision of the athletes in the front and sideways. This is another important criterion to choose the best adult football helmet. Also, make sure that using a facemask could give a clear view from all angles.
Chinstrap should be well-secured in their place
- Chinstrap: The chin strap of a football helmet should be properly fit with the chin. Once the chin strap is fastened, the helmet should be kept in all directions. For helmets with a four-point system, all straps should be snapped and tightly secured.
Top 3 best football helmet brands
Riddell is one of the highest-rated football helmet brands
Since 1929, Riddell has become famous for providing football helmets of the highest quality. Their helmets range from the best cheap to some of the most expensive ones. Therefore, you could buy the top-rated football helmets that suit your needs and budget. Some of their football helmets include the Speed Icon, Riddell Speedflex Helmet, Speed Youth Helmet, etc.
When it comes to the best helmet brands for football players, Schutt is yet to disappoint patrons. By buying a Schutt helmet, you can truly customize your buying experience to properly fit your heads and playing style. Schutt offers plenty of versions of helmets such as Schutt Vengeance Pro, Custom Air XP Pro VTD II, Schutt Vengeance z10 and much more.
Schutt is a top-rated brand in providing football helmets.
Many believe that the best concussion prevention football helmets are from Xenith. Their options include the Shadow XR Helmet, EPIC+, Xenith X2E+. The Xenith brand truly has the highest quality and the best helmet ratings for athletes.
Xenith football helmet help to prevent concussions effectively
10 best football helmet 2021
1. Riddell NFL Atlanta Falcons Speedflex Authentic Football Helmet
The first on our top 10 best football helmets list is none other than the 5 stars helmet ratings quality Riddell NFL Atlanta Falcons Speedflex. From the outside, this football helmet is developed with the newest technology and high-quality materials to protect you from concussions on the field.
Riddell NFL can also serve with a facemask. Its shell is made of polycarbonate material that appears to be robust and guarantees your head protection. The patented impact protection helps to reduce force impact from the hits.
- Made from durable polycarbonate material for enhanced protection.
- Integrate patented impacts protection (PISP) system.
- Effectively reduce force impacts from outside.
- This football helmet has different colors and size options available to choose.
- Attached facemask and clip.
- Only weighs 5 pounds.
- Limited variety of masks.
2. Riddell SpeedFlex Adult Football Helmet with Facemask
Once Riddell SpeedFlex is released, this football helmet has hit the market hard because of its durability and comfort. There is a patented flex system to reduce the dangerous collisions at impact. This helmet’s weight is less than 5 pounds, but it has enough features such as breathability and airflow.
The cover is made of high-quality polycarbonate as it delivers top-notch protection for your head during fierce matches. In addition, there is a facemask integrated with this most comfortable and safe helmet.
- Shell is made of polycarbonate to ensure maximum protection.
- The patented flex system is integrated into the facemask and shell.
- There are plenty of sizes and colors available.
- Lightweight, only 5 pounds.
- This football helmet is durable and comfortable.
3. Schutt NCAA Notre Dame Fighting Irish On-Field Authentic XP
These football helmets are designed to deliver perfect balance and it does not move around or irritate in the field. Additionally, the crash or concussions impact will be reduced with the latest technology. The multi-directional system in Schutt NCAA Notre Dame Fighting Irish On-Field Authentic Air XP ensures a zero impact on athlete’s health. This helmet will perfectly fit your big heads as it has sizes ranging from 7 to 7.2.
- Perfect balance, deliver comfort.
- Zero collision-collision impact.
- Complete interior TPU cushioning system.
- Integrate TPU cushioning jaw pads and chin strap.
- Have a real metal facemask for maximum protection.
- Aggressive and high impact helmet shell.
- Great helmet for premier athletes.
- Affordable price
- Have plenty of fits sizes ranging from 7 to 7.2.
- Have limited options for chin strap and facemasks.
4. Schutt F7 Adult Football Helmet
When it comes to what is the best football helmet to prevent concussions, Schutt F7 Adult size helmet can not be missing from the list. First launched in 2017, these Schutt F7 football helmets gained great acclaim in terms of safety and protection. Only weighing 4.4 pounds, the Schutt F7 has the best features, which is the Three-dimensional system or 3DM.
Additionally, this Schutt F7 has synthetic leather front pads to ensure the helmet is anti-friction and moisture-resistant more effectively. This allows you to play the whole match without worrying about impaired vision caused by sweat. To adjust these features for a more comfortable fit, this Schutt F7 football helmet has a twist release system and a valve attachment.
- The Schutt F7 helmet has a 3DM Tectonic Plate.
- Polycarbonate shell integrated with a helmet stabilization system.
- Single TPU outer layer cushioning absorbs impact.
- Evenly distribute the effect from hits.
- Flexural resistance shelves strengthen the cover in critical places.
- The Schutt F7 provides maximum protection and safety on the match.
- Effectively anti-friction and wick away moisture.
- Lightweight, only 4.4 pounds.
- These Schutt F7 football helmets come only with the same color facemask unless requested.
5. Riddell Cleveland Browns Proline Authentic Football Helmet
The Riddell Speedflex Cleveland Browns Proline Authentic Football Helmet was only released early in 2020, but it has made positive waves in the football industry. This official NFL Proline licensed helmet is designed with a Kra-Lite II Polycarbonate Lexan in a large or full-size shell. Hence, it is great for autographs.
This has also been favored as the best helmet to prevent concussions. It integrates a polyvinyl-coated running back style face mask, an inflatable liner with two inflation points. These high-quality football helmets could be decorated in the team color.
- Full-size polycarbonate shell to optimally protect.
- Polyvinyl coated facemasks allow you to always stay dry and cool.
- 4 point chin strap.
- Z2B carbon steel
- Authentic internal padding with 2 inflation points.
- Affordable price.
- Approximately 10 inches tall.
- Great for autographs.
- Some football helmets depict the old classic Detroit lions logo.
6. Xenith Shadow XR Matte White Youth Football Helmet
Xenith is one of the best helmet football brands for a football player with top-rated products, including Xenith Shadow XR Matte Youth football helmet with Virginia Tech. This 5 stars Xenith Shadow XR helmet Virginia Tech helmet ratings is made of a proprietary polymer shell, which makes it superbly lightweight for youth players.
In addition, it also features RHEON cells, distributing energy from multiple impact types. These cells constrict linear impact to reduce the high speed that can cause damage to you.
The inner cushion molds properly and Xenith’s patented adaptive fit system offers a more secure and customized fit. This Xenith Shadow XR helmet with Virginia Tech is designed to adapt to different weather conditions, allowing the player to always stay dry and cool. So, parents should choose this helmet for your kids.
- 5-star helmet ratings according to the Virginia Tech helmet.
- Optimally protected for high school players.
- Maximize longevity and perform their features for up to 10 years.
- Waterproof and washable.
- Adapt to a wide range of temperatures.
- Anti-microbial and breathable.
- RHEON cells reduce acceleration speed and control the rotational impact.
- Lightweight, only 4.7 pounds.
- Provide a more secure and customized fit.
- Large vents at both the front and rear of the helmet shell allow cool air to flow.
- There are limited choices of facemask and chin strap.
7. Riddell NFL Las Vegas Raiders Speed Authentic Football Helmet
Officially licensed by the NFL, Riddell NFL Las Vegas Raiders Speed Authentic Football Helmet is actually one of the best football helmets. This is designed to reduce the intensity of concussions. These Raiders Speed is the most authentically inspired helmet in Riddell Speedflex’s line. There are plenty of premium features in this helmet including Kra-Lite II Polycarbonate Lexan in a full-sized shell with extended protection.
Moreover, it has a hexagon-shaped effect absorption cut-out in the center, 6 elliptical air vents, and 2 ear holes. Steel rivets with 2 pairs on each side attach on polyvinyl – covered steel with a quick-release face mask. This helmet also integrates a functional air bladder with two inflation points and comfort over the liner.
- Large shell with an aggressive facemask.
- Authentic internal padding and 4-point chin strap.
- Rubber vinyl stitched leather with 4 adjustment points.
- Can be designed for official team colors and decals.
- Have a new distinctive shell design.
- There are lots of replica helmets with low-quality flooding in the market.
- Unsafe for competitive play, because it is not professionally fitted.
8. Riddell Victor Youth Football Helmet, White/Gray
A top 10 best football helmet’s list would be remiss if the Riddell SpeedFlex Victor Youth Helmet was not apart. These youth helmets are designed for high school players or youth players to have perfect balance when playing around the field. The technology of Riddle Speed reduces negative collision effects across the whole helmet. The over liner is removable, water-resistant with properties built-in.
- Perfect balance and limit negative concussion effects.
- Provides comfort and stability for high school players.
- Have patented side impact protection.
- Affordable price for youth players.
- Restricted facemask selections.
- Limited chin strap choices.
9. Schutt Vengeance Sports VTD II Football Helmet
This is one of the highest-rated football helmets in the market today that is flooded with various helmet brands. Schutt Vengeance Sports VTD II Football Helmet has undergone many testing to ensure maximum safety and protection.
This Schutt Vengeance VTD II helmet has been designed with enhanced passing along with single and double layers. Therefore, it improves outlook and utilization compared to others in the Schutt Vengeance VTD collection. This VTD II protects the player effectively from the high impacts of football hits. Moreover, there are non-inflatable liners that deliver a pillow feel.
- There are interlink jaw pads integrated with a low profile shell.
- This Schutt Vengeance helmet is pretty lightweight.
- TPU shell, single and double layers for enhanced protection.
- Have a budget-friendly price.
- Enhance outlook and utilization.
- Non-inflatable liners to provide comfort.
- There are multiple color options.
- There is no facemask.
Xenith X2E+ Youth Football Helmet with Mask
The Xenith X2E+ helmet is the product of extensive research on head injury preventing gear and is one of the best football helmets. It strives to deliver a secure and adaptive fit that can significantly prevent the effect of hits from the opposing team. Though this Xenith X2E helmet is designed specifically for youth, it is made with the same high-quality material as a professional level.
Light helmets with shells that are made of ABS plastic. A shock absorption system allows the helmet to adapt to a hit. Additionally, the Xenith X2E+ also comes with plenty of features.
- Have a patented adaptive head protection system.
- Silicon band conforms to different head shapes and sizes.
- Integrate shock absorber and shock suspension technology.
- Lightweight, only 6 pounds.
- Provide a custom fit capability.
- Come with many useful features like due density comfort pads and a hybrid chin cup.
- Only have a single-stage shock.
Buyer’s Guide – What To Look Out For When Buying the best helmet for football players
A good helmet can be seen as an invaluable piece of equipment in a fierce football match. The following are tips on how to choose the best football helmets on the market.
There are some criteria needed to look out before buying a football helmet
Football helmets that perfectly fit your head will be the safest. If your helmet is too tight or too loose may not deliver maximum protection on the field.
Lightweight football helmets could be ideal because they provide a cozy and comfortable feel and enhance your movement while playing.
Helmets should be durable and strong enough to absorb any collision effect. Moreover, you should choose the best helmet with a stabilization system. This improves the helmet fit whether it is placed over your head or around your chin.
Facemask and airliner
Helmet facemasks and airliners offer enhanced safety to your face.
The best helmet for a football player should deliver comfortability and durability to absorb high impact
How tight should a football helmet be?
There should be zero air pockets or space in the pads and there should be no snugging. With this tight, your head is comfortable and cozy. Make sure that the helmets do not slide on your head and the chin strap is well-secured in this space. In case the chin strap is put on and you are still able to take the helmet off, it is obviously too loose for your head.
The football helmet should deliver comfort and perfectly fitted for your head
How to clean football helmets?
Using helmets constantly can soil them with sweat and dirt. Therefore, regular cleaning is a must. Cleaning them with a soft fabric could help. A soft fabric also ensures that the football helmets are not stripped off it’s covering.
How do you measure your head to suit a football helmet?
You should measure your head before purchasing a helmet
Whenever you are looking for the best adult football helmet or other age, you need to be sure of head measurement. It ensures a perfectly fitted helmet safety. Following these below steps will help you measure your head size:
- Take a flexible tape ruler
- Wrap it around your head an inch above your eyebrow
- Use the football helmet’s size chart to measure and choose the proper fit size one. It is better to use the Schutt football helmet standard.
Football is an interesting sport, however, it could carry some risks for players especially in fierce matches. A concussion can cause serious damage to your head. Safety is of the utmost important criteria when playing football. Having the best football helmet that suits your preferences and your needs can prevent any unforeseen injuries.
Why trust Langley Rams
Scott Fujita is an experienced and professional consultant in the football industry
At Langley Rams, there is a team of professional advisors with many years of experience in football. And Scott Fujita is one of the best consultants, an author, and writer for Langleyrams.com. Utilizing his expertise as a linebacker and leadership from the football match, Fujita has made a lot of achievements in choosing the right football helmets. He always gives the best suggestion for the perfectly fitted helmet for athletes.